Monday, June 24, 2013

The Rise of Paranormal Characters in Fiction: Jessica O'Gorek Guest Post

Here's what author Jessica O'Gorek has to say about the increase in supernatural characters in fiction, so much so that they've become somewhat common.

I don’t know when it started, where, or why, but somewhere along the way, Dracula took a back seat to zombies, sparkly vampires, werewolves, angels, and demons. (And soon, hopefully, they’ll all have to follow in the Gemini’s footsteps) I think back to Anne Rice’s Lestat and wonder if she kicked the craze off, but it seems like Stephanie Meyer was really the catalyst of the pop culture phenomena. 

Ever since 2008, fictional characters, such as Edward and Jacob, have become main stream stars. They live, they breathe, and they become real people in our imaginations and for some of us, in our hearts. (I’m not partial to the Cullens or anything.) After 2008, all of our books turn into movies and create this cross generational connection between teens, young adults and older adults. I think some of these series creates a connection across these ages and gives them something to discuss. The Hunger Games is a prime example of this with its deep concept of human greed and pain; it communicates important values to kids and brings the parents on board by doing so.

When characters are likable and easy to identify with, they’re marketable. One of my marketing concepts with Gemini Rising was to make pictures of all my characters and make them relatable. I’m sure some authors would argue that this takes some of the mystery and imagination out of reading a book, but if I have a vision of a character I think it’s fun to share it. With Onyx, he is just so beautiful and I felt the need to convey that beauty in my art work. 


About the Book: 
Title: Ethereal Fury (bk 1 Gemini Rising) by Jessica O'Gorek
Release Date:  June 4, 2013
Genre: Fantasy / Futuristic / Teen

BEWARE! THE PLANET IS WOUNDED... THE GEMINI ARE RISING AND OUR TIME ON EARTH IS LIMITED

Mother Earth, wounded by the human race and its disregard for her resources, will recruit human souls to serve Her and turn against humanity. A rising force festers; Gemini, a clan of paranormal beings will systematically possess and destroy towns, cities, and states. Amidst the chaos, a forbidden relationship between Onyx, a lead Gemini, and Violette, a human, begins. They will both find themselves in the middle of a revolutionary war that will either save, or destroy our world.

 Book Links: 

 What others are saying about Gemini Rising:
"Overall, Ethereal Fury (Gemini Rising #1) is an interesting read that will leave readers wanting more (in a good way). It certainly left me wanting more. I will definitely be reading the next book in the series." -- Heather Cranmer (Goodreads)

 "There is romance, there is danger, there is lots of suspense, and I can't wait for Book 2. Read it! Then you'll be hooked like me!" -- Nina (Goodreads)
  
"This was a very thoughtful and thought provoking read and I enjoyed it immensely.” -- Beth Cutwright (Amazon)

 "The pace of the book was good and kept you wondering what was going to happen next. When I reached the last page, I wished for it to keep going." -- William Perkinson (Amazon)

"Intriguing and engaging, an all-around good story." -- Sylvia Koontz



About Jessica O'Gorek:
I was born in Chesapeake, Virginia on April 19th, 1979. I was raised within the American Indian religion and was taught great respect for the earth and all its living beings. Powwows, sweat lodges, vision quests, you name it, I’ve done it. I was the weird kid who would confront kids on the playground in elementary school when they squished a bug. I would very sincerely tell them what they were doing was morally wrong and then I would pray for the bug to come back as a butterfly in its next life.

I grew up admiring my father, Barry Weinstock, as an author. When I was twelve I started hand writing novels. My first one was two thousand pages. My daughter, who is thirteen, is currently working on her first novel. I hope to continue the legacy.

author links: 




No comments:

Post a Comment